2.10.2008

Poop with Ice Cream on Top!

The question is: How many times have your used laughter and light-heartedness to take yourself out of the situation or distract from actually having the experience you're having? How many times have you "tried to make it fun," when really, talking about unpleasant feelings or facing into your biggest fear, isn't that enjoyable?

Sometimes, life sucks! Arguable, but part of having fun is empowering yourself through facing into what is and having a new experience, rather than running around your problems using fun, laughter and spiritual psycho-babble to evade the opportunity to excel.

I had an awareness this week surrounding all the ways I use fun and play as a tool to defend and therefore, take my authenticity, my real feelings and ultimately, myself out of the situations that I find challenging to face and do directly. I avoid life by using humor, pop-psychology and spirituality to avoid all the feedback that's here.

So, I guess the sweetheart message in all this: I have found really creative ways, like fun and play to avoid feeling inadequate and useless. Wow! I have been thinking I can't have fun and be real at the same time; I have been thinking I have to "be perfect" before I can start living. It's like pretending everything is great, when I can't even pay my bills on time. Oh yes, this is familiar!

Today, I commit to a big AND in my relationship with reality and having fun. I commit to seeing life as it really is and using fun as a tool to empower myself back into responsibility by getting curious about the results I am creating, today. Either way, putting ice cream on poop is still poop with ice cream on top.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nick,
Thanks you for putting this into words. I am very curious about my experience with the same tactic...
You are an inspiration!
Hugs
Jen